Wednesday 11 April 2012

Pretentious writer - moi?

Since I stopped trying to be pretentious I have found it a lot easier to write.  Now, I don't blame anyone but myself for becoming one of those writers with literary pretentions but I can see where it started.  You see, in 2001 I began an MA in Creative Writing at the University of Chichester.  This was a wonderful experience, taught me a lot and I met some really wonderful people - some of whom are enjoying a good publishing career like Bethan Roberts.  However, the one thing these courses teach you is to aspire to more than popular fiction, literary fiction being the only 'respectable' outcome of your efforts.  Now some 'literary fiction' I enjoy, but some of it is just bunkum - seriously, have you tried to read Wolf Hall?  I gave up when I could no longer tell which character's point of view I was meant to be with.
So, since giving up pretentions and just writing something I find enjoyable, that I would wish to read, I have found writing a whole lot easier.  And you know what?  It's just more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment